Vamana is one of the five therapies of panchakarma in Ayurveda. Vamana is the theurapeutic vomiting which is a medicated emesis. This treatment is done for the agrrevated kapha dosha, which dislodges the toxin mainly from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. This therapy is also done in aspect to prevention & curative purpose. Ayurveda believes that season has the great influence in ored of aggravation of doshas, ex: Kapha in hemant (spring season), pitta in Sharada(winter)season and vata in greeshma(summers) season. Hence one can adopt Vamana therapy in Spring i.e hemant season as the prevetive therapy in order to prevent from disorders related to kapha.
1) Vamana is induced in order to eliminate the excess of mucus from the respiratory and gastro-intestitional tract that causes the excess of the kapha.
2) Pre-therapy procedure: before inducing the vamana, prior night patient is asked to have the kapha aggrevation foods such as the yoghurs, sweets, basmati rice. This is done with the intension of icreasing the kapha so it it get eliminated out completely and forcefully from the system.
3) On next day the a drink is made out of vomiting inducing drugs- madanphala, licorice, calamus root tea.
4) This drink triggers the vomiting in the patient, if it doesn’t take place then it is induced by rubbing the tongue till thetongue.
5) In this manner the patient expels the whole kapha outside and feel better & light after some times.
6) Post therapy: patient should take rest completely and consume light food. Fasting is recommended after vamana therapy as the whole system goes under heavy work.
1) Lighteness in the chest is often experienced after undergoing the vamana therapy.
2) People analysis the things more perfectly, promotes good voice and good appetite.
3) In ancient days vaman was said to be given to one, after consumption of poison or food poisioning which is today followed by stomach wash oin modern science.
4) After vamana, the sinuses are cleared which in turn provides relief from yhe congestion, wheezing and breathlessness.
5) It is highly efficient treatment in Asthama and skin skin related problems like psorasis.
6) Reduction in weight and cholestrol & triglycerides.
1) Upper respiratory tract infection
4) Metabolic disorders like Diabetes.
5) Skin allergy, exczema, psorasis
8) Uticarial rashes.