Vaman is one of the five therapies of panchakarma in Ayurveda. Vaman is the theurapeutic vomiting which is a medicated emesis. This treatment is done for the aggravated kapha dosha, which dislodges the toxin mainly from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. This therapy is also done in aspect to prevention & curative purpose. Ayurveda believes that season has the great influence in aggravation of doshas, ex: Kapha in hemant (spring season), pitta in Sharada(winter)season and vata in greeshma(summers) season. Hence one can adopt Vaman therapy in Spring i.e hemant season as the prevetive therapy in order to prevent from disorders related to kapha.
1) Vaman is induced in order to eliminate the excess of mucus from the respiratory and gastro-intestinal tract that causes the excess of the kapha.
2) Pre-therapy procedure: before inducing the vamana, prior night patient is asked to have the kapha aggravation foods such as the yoghurts, sweets, basmati rice. This is done with the intention of increasing the kapha so it it get eliminated out completely and forcefully from the system.
3) On next day the a drink is made out of vomiting inducing drugs- madanphala, licorice, calamus root tea.
4) This drink triggers the vomiting in the patient, if it doesn’t take place then it is induced by rubbing the tongue.
5) In this manner the patient expels the whole kapha outside and feel better & light after some times.
6) Post therapy: patient should take rest completely and consume light food. Fasting is recommended after vaman therapy as the whole system goes under heavy work.
1) Lightness in the chest is often experienced after undergoing the vaman therapy.
2) People analysis the things more perfectly, promotes good voice and good appetite.
3) In ancient days vaman was said to be given to one, after consumption of poison or food poisoning which is today followed by stomach wash in modern science.
4) After vaman, the sinuses are cleared which in turn provides relief from the congestion, wheezing and breathlessness.
5) It is highly efficient treatment in Asthma and skin related problems like psoriasis.
6) Reduction in weight and cholesterol & triglycerides.
Upper respiratory tract infection
Metabolic disorders like Diabetes.
Skin allergy, eczema, psoriasis